Josh James is an American professional baseball right-handed reliever playing for the Houston Astros of Major League Baseball (MLB). He is best known for his pitching of 101 mph that could light a radar gun.
James had his major league debut in 2018. He is a natural pitcher and has 2,106 pitches between 2018-2020, including his MLB regular season and MLB postseason.
The simple and short facts of the baseball pitcher are tabled below.
Quick Facts about Josh James
|Full Name||Joshua James|
|Date of Birth||March 8, 1993|
|Birth Place||Hollywood, Florida|
|Age||29 Years Old|
|Height||6 ft 3 inches (1.90 m)|
|Weight||105 kg (231.48 lb)|
|Father’s Name||Ivan James|
|Mother’s Name||Tracia James|
|Siblings||A younger sister (Joy)|
|Education||South Broward High School|
Western Oklahoma State College
|Kids||A son(Noah) and a Daughter(Sophie)|
|Net Worth||$590,700 per annum|
|Social Media||Instagram, Twitter|
|Last Update||September, 2022|
Josh James – Appearance
Josh James is a man who stands at 6 ft 3 inches (1.90 m) and weighs 105 kg (231.48 lb). James has an athletic build with tan skin and has a round face with a cute smile.
Moreover, he has dimples on his cheeks whenever he smiles. James has shiny black eyes with a black beard and black hair.
Josh James | Early Life
James was born to his parents, Ivan and Tracia James, on March 8, 1993. His parents raised him alongside his younger sister, Joy, in Hollywood, Florida. But, unfortunately, there isn’t much information about the player’s childhood days.
Josh James attended South Broward High School majoring in Sports Management and graduated in 2011. Later, he enrolled at Western Oklahoma State College, where he started playing college baseball.
During his freshman year, he was coached under Joe Guimmule and was a three-year letterman. Afterward, he compiled a .370 batting average with 14 runs and 21 RBI in his old days.
Therefore, he closed his college days with a 4-3 record on the Bulldogs’ mound, including a 2.13 era and 55 strikeouts in 45 innings pitched.
Josh James | Career
The Houston Astros drafted James for the 2014 Major League Baseball in the 34th round. That marked the beginning of his career as he signed in.
- James commenced his professional career through the Greeneville Astros in 2014. In the whole season, he pitched 39.2 innings with a 2.72 ERA, thus, with a record of 1-3.
- In 2015, James pitched for 24 games with 18 starts and had a 7-4. He spent the Quad Cities River Bandits with a 2.63 ERA.
- For 2016, he played 23 games in which he started 19 matches with Lanchester Hawks. He has a record of 9-5 and 4.81 ERA.
- In 2017, he had 21 games with 11 starts with the Corpus Christi Hooks. He had a 4-8 record with a 4.38 ERA.
- Also, for 2018, he started the season with Corpus Christi but later got promoted to the Fresno Grizzlies. As he played with the two teams, he had a record of 6-4 with a 3.23 ERA and 171 strikeouts in 114.1 innings (13.5 per 9 innings). During the offseason, James optimized his jump velocity, and therefore, for it, he credited his sleep apnea diagnosis.
- That same year 2018, on September 1, Josh was promoted to the major leagues. He started playing with the Astors, and that season, in total 6 games, he had 3 starts with the record of in which he pitched 23.0 innings and struck out 29 batters (11.3 strikeouts per 9 innings).
- For the season 2019 with the Astros, he pitched 61 1⁄3 innings and struck out 100 batters (14.7 per 9 innings). Josh started 1 match among the 49 matches; he had a record of 5-1 with one save and a 4.70 ERA.
- In 2020, James played over 13 games in which he started the 2 matches and had a record of 1-0 with a 7.27 ERA with 21 strikeouts in 17.1 innings (10.9 strikeouts per 9 innings).
Josh James | 2018 Gameplay
In 2018, the Astros had a match with the Angels, which was Josh James’ first gameplay in his major league. Unfortunately, the Astros had a late win at that time.
Firstly, the Houston Astros had a tie match with the Angels. During the bottom eighth inning, Tyler White broke open the game with a two-out, two-run double, sparking the Astros to a 7-3.
After the Astros’ come-from-behind victory, Tony Kemp and George Springer led off by reaching base on a single and catcher’s interference, respectively. Then, following all the players like Jose Altuve, Alex Bregman, and others took the lead.
Moving on, it was Josh James’ first MLB game. He was in place of Charlie Morton as Morton had right shoulder discomfort.
He had recorded 21 total at-bats with 9 strikeouts, thus claiming the second most in Astros history by a pitcher making his debut.
At the start, due to the solid crowd of 41,622, James had gotten nervous and struggled to play. However, after getting the hang of it, he had a rocky start to retire six straight over the next two innings.
His pitching style in the game included 44 fastballs, and 14 of them were perfect two-frame changeups or sliders.
Along with Taylor White, Josh James became the second pair after Darryl Kile and outfielder Eric Anthony to start the same game after being drafted by Houston in the 30th round or later.
Josh James | Gossip Corner
2019 Sidelined With Strained Quad
Josh James of Houston Astros had a significant miss in the spring of 2018. Astros manager AJ Hinch announced that the No. 62 overall prospects had suffered a strained right quad.
James missed out on the major leagues and even the Grapefruit League game.
Therefore, James had played six matches, among which he started three of them. At the end of the season, he had a 2.35 ERA and 0.96 WHIP with 29 strikeouts in 23 innings.
Equally important, Due to his improved velocity, James was titled the second-best rookie-eligible pitcher heading to 2019.
Why Josh James is Thankful to God?
During the first MLB win of Josh James with 5.1 innings, he played a crucial role for the Astros to a 7-0 win over the Mariners.
James threw at 100mph, dominating the Mariners with his most brutal throw. He left the Mariners baffled with 49 fastballs, 18 changeups, and 20 sliders during the gameplay.
“My challenge was to keep my ball straight and not let it run back over the plate to the lefties,” James said after the game.
“[Catcher Brian McCann] did a great job of calling the game. He guided me through it. That was huge.”
Consequently, as he joined Twitter, he had shared his game of being thankful to God.
Josh James | Pitch
Up until today’s date, Josh has been seen to rely upon the various pitches as:
- Fourseam Fastball (97mph)= He uses his natural sinking action mixed with well above average velo.
- Slider (86mph)= Josh has it in a low depth, which gives him a short glove-side cut.
- Change (89mph)= It is more like a flyball; however, Josh throws it extremely hard with a high number of swings & misses.
- Curve (82mph)= Alongside to change, he throws it with many swings & misses and has 12-6 movement.
Josh James | Injury
Josh James suffered from a hip injury in Colorado on August 20, 2020. He predicted that he would miss the beginning of the 2021 season while healing from the injury.
The physical setback required surgery to repair. First, James underwent knives to repair a labral tear in his left hip.
The recovery time was estimated to be around 6-8 months. The club then announced that James would return either by April or June. He is expected to return by June 2021.
Josh James | 2020 Season Stats
|0 (Tied 133rd)||7.27||21||1.85|
Check James’ news, career stats on Fangraphs sites.
Josh James | Outlook
James entered into the MLB world as a 34th-round pick of the 2014 draft. He appeared in six games and started three of them in 2020. The verdict was 2 victories and a 2.35 ERA.
He demonstrated a 31.9% strikeout rate, getting batters to chase outside the zone more than a third of the time (34%).
His flyball rate was 43.4%. As a rookie, he was the 53rd-ranked starting pitcher according to RotoBaller staff, valued with an ADP of 208.
Josh James | Net Worth
Josh James is reportedly estimated to have a net worth of $ 590,700. Besides, his current contract with the Astros is worth $566,800. Unfortunately, there is no further information about James’ earnings and other listed items in his name.
Net Worth of Josh James in Different Currencies
Here is the net worth of Josh James in different currencies, including the Euro and Pound.
Josh James | Charity
Unlike any Celebrities or players, Josh James involves in charity works. He was in collaboration with the Big Brothers Big Sisters Lonestar. But, he does take his time to help society.
The organization’s motto is, “Help a local child discover unlimited possibilities. Create a bigger future for generations to follow.”
You may also like Mark DeRosa.
Josh James | Love Life
Josh James is very peculiar about his personal life. He is married with two kids; however, no information is revealed about his wife.
Josh had posted his first picture of his son, Noah, on November 17, 2018. Then, again, in July 2020, he shared his daughter’s birth, Sophie.
Josh James is connected with his fans, though; he limits his personal life moments.
Common Queries about Josh James
What happened to Josh James?
Josh James suffered from a hip injury in August 2020, for which he underwent an offseason surgery. The surgery was intended to repair a labral tear in his left hip.
How is James Related to Kiwi Bushman?
James is not related to Kiwi Bushman.
Does Josh Works in NFL?
No, he does not work in the NFL.