Kelly Slater, a professional surfer and one of the greatest surfers of all time, has a net worth of $22 million. As for 2021, he is one of the wealthiest surfers.
He was born on the 11th of February, 1972, in Cocoa Beach, Florida, U.S. American by nationality, his zodiac sign is Aquarius. He grew up near the sources of water; due to this, at an early age of 5 years old, he began surfing.
Since the age of 10, the surfer has been winning several national and global championships. He is now a professional surfer known by the nickname “The Micheal Jordan of Surfing Slats.” Besides being a surfer, he is also a musician, film producer, actor, and voice actor.
Areas to be covered in this article,
- Net Worth
- Quick Facts
- Book Publications and Movies
- Charity Works
- Social Media
Before heading on, we will first look at the quick fact table.
|Full Name||Kelly Slater|
|Birth Date||11th of February 1972|
|Birth Place||Cocoa Beach, Florida, US|
|Nicknames||Kells, Slates, King Kelly, and The Micheal Jordan of Surfing Slats|
|Education||Masters degree in Criminal Law, Sydney University|
|Father’s Name||Stephen Slater|
|Mother’s Name||Judy Slater|
|Siblings||Sean, Stephen and|
|Age||50 Years Old|
|Height||5 ft 8.5 in (1.74 m)|
|Weight||160 Ib (73 Kg)|
|Profession||Professional surfer, musician, voice actor, and a film producer|
|Net Worth||$ 22 million|
|Salary (yearly)||$3 million|
|Social Media||Twitter: 902.1 k followers |
Facebook: 1.9 million followers
Instagram: 2.7 million followers
|Last Update||May, 2022|
Kelly Slater: Net worth and Income
Slater has a net worth of $22 million. Most of his income is through his surfing and acting career. He also earns through entrepreneurship and endorsement. The amount he earns from his career is estimated to be between $3 million and $4 million.
He also earns some amount through acting and voice acting. “Surf’s up,” A film in which he acted, was a success, earning $149 million. Besides all these, he has also earned as a brand ambassador of The Chia Co. He has also started a beverage company named “Purps” and co-founded a company called “Outerknown.”
Kelly Slater: House, Cars, and Boards
Back in the year 2017, Slater purchased a beach house worth $7.8 million in Hawaii. The home contains a seven-bedroom, seven-and-a-half bathroom. The design is mixed cultural. Slater’s home also contains a pond with the Buddha’s statue in it.
Do you know Melani Bethany Hamilton? She is a very well-known surfer. Here are some quotes from her.
Aside from the main building, two guest-house are also present, all of which are open to the private garden, the pool, and the lawn.
The view from the private balcony of the master’s bedroom has an astounding view of the ocean.
As for his car collection, he has quite a few. His most preferred one is Land Rover as a personal vehicle.
Next are surfboards. Unlike other surfers, Kelly uses his own designed surfboards, called the Slater Designs. Often, he rides the 5’10 Banana model featuring the new stickers. This was designed by Greg Webber, who is a designer of boards.
The surfer launched his new brand at Surf Expo 2016, which was held in Orlando.
Till now, there are three Slater designed boards which are,
- The Sci – Phi : This board has dimensions of 5’10”x 18 3/8”x 2 1/4” . It was designed by Daniel Thomson.
- The Owni: This particular surfboard was designed by Daniel Thomson again. The dimensions are 5’3”x 18 3/4”x 2 5/16” (24.8 liters)
- The Banana: The last one is The Banana, designed by Greg Webber. The dimension are 5’10”x 18 3/8”x 2 1/4” (25.8 liters)
Currently, the surfboards are in massive demand and are reviewed by many other YouTubers and surfers as well.
Kelly Slater: Lifestyle and Vacations
Slater strictly believes in proper nutrition, sleep, and low stress for a better and healthy lifestyle.
After losing his father to cancer and other friends to many other diseases, he has become highly conscious about his health and longevity. For this reason, he exercises regularly as well as frequently goes to the physiotherapist for regular checkups.
Lakey Peterson is another professional surfer. It is said that she has been surfing since the age of five. Read here below to know more about him.
Being a professional surfer, he has been to many surfing destinations for vacation and events.
Some of his favorite destinations are Tavarua, Fiji, Hossegor, France, etc. Most recently, in September of 2020, he had been on vacation in Bali, where he was seen riding the waves on a near-empty beach due to the global pandemic.
Kelly Slater: Charity Works
The Surfer donates his fortune to many different non-profitable organizations as well as invests his money in different organizations.
Along with other celebrities like Justin Timberlake, Jack Johnson, and many more, Slater has supported many organizations. Some of these include:
- Hillsides, Southern California: An organization providing a stable environment and protecting children’s rights.
- Kelly Slater Foundation: An organization to increase social and environmental consciousness.
- Life Rolls On Foundation: An organization that helps young people whose suffering from spinal cord injuries.
- Wildlife Warriors Worldwide: A global organization (Australian-based) that helps preserve and protect threatened and endangered wildlife and flora.
Kelly Slater: Movies, Investments, Endorsements, and Book Publications
The American surfer is also into producing films and acting. As a film producer, he has made many movies, some of which are: The Ultimate Wave Tahiti (Documentary), Jack Johnson: The September Series (Documentary).
As an actor, some of his contributions in filmography are: Thicker than water, Cloud 9, View from a Blue Moon, Momentum Generation, etc. He also played in some of the TV series called Baywatch.
Kelly Slater, to date, has made two huge investments in the organization named “Vessel” and “Hyperice.” He has also joined hands with an Australian investment firm to build the world’s first wave pool featuring a continuous, world-class wave.
Slater has endorsement deals with companies such as Quicksilver wetsuits and Channel Islands Surfboards.
He also had a deal with lux wristwatch brands, the WSL’s official beverage, etc. However, the amount of income he gets through these endorsements is not known to the public.
As an author, he has written two books named “Pipe Dreams: A Surfer’s Journey” and “Kelly Slater: For the Love.” These books are about his incredible and inspiring journey in the surfing world.
If you want to read these books, you can click here.
Kelly Slater: Career
Slater began surfing in competitions in his late teens. He also won major surfing league championships like the Quicksilver pro, Australian Open.
He is the youngest surfer who’s ever won the World surf league championship. As a professional surfer, his skills to this date remain unmatched.
Winning a total of 55 world surf league contests and holding the title “The world championship holder” from 1994-1998, he has received several awards throughout his surfing career.
Other than his surfing career, he has also been in several movies and TV shows.
In the surfing world, Kelly Slater is a legend. He has been considered the greatest surfer for his incredible surfing skills. As a matter of fact, he has 11 world championship titles, among which he has 5 consecutive wins. He is also the richest surfer of all time.
Below are some of his achievements to date.
- 1st place winner of Nike Pro US Open ( 2011 )
- Winner at Hurley Pro ( 2011 )
- 1st place at Volcom Fiji Pro ( 2013 )
- Winner of Association of Surfing Professionals (‘ASP’) World Tour.’
- Winner of ‘Rip Curl Pro Landes’ and the ‘Marui Pipe Masters.’
- First place at competitions like ‘Quiksilver Pro,’ Indonesia, ‘Chiemsee Pipe Masters’ and ‘Triple Crown of Surfing.’
- Winner of tournaments of ‘Snickers Australian Open,’ ‘Energy Australia Open,’ ‘Boost Mobile Pro,’ and ‘Quiksilver Pro.’
- Slater has been a champion of the World Surf League ( 11 times ).
- An awardee of Laureus World Sports Award for Action Sportsperson of the Year ( 200, 2009, 2011, and 2012 )
- Youngest and Oldest champion surfer in the world
- Total of 55 competition victories
- Quiksilver in Memory of Eddie Aikau (Specialty-Hawaii in 2002)
3 Facts about Kelly Slater
- Slater plays instruments such as guitar and ukulele. He has been in a band with Rob Machado and Peter King. The band was called “The Surfers.”
- His favorite movie is “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.”
- He has been in a console video game for PS2 and Xbox. The game was called “Kelly Slater’s Pro Surfer.” This game was considered to be one of the best surfing games.
Social Media Presence
The Surfer is very much active on social media platforms like Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook as well.
On these platforms, he mostly interacts with his followers by updating them about his new competitions, fundraising foundations, and also about upcoming series and documentaries.
Twitter: 902.1 k followers
Facebook: 1.9 million followers
Instagram: 2.7 million followers
Kelly Slater Quotes
- My schedule changes every morning based on the surf.
- Big waves are a whole different ball game. You’re riding a wave with an immense amount of speed and power, generally over 10 meters. On the face of the wave, obviously, life and death thoughts start to happen.
- If your mind is not switched on and excited about things, you grow old really fast. I think that’s when you age and your body starts to go. I think life’s over at that point.
- For a surfer, it’s never-ending. There’s always some wave you want to surf.
- For me, it’s sort of like time slows down. You become hyper-aware of a lot of different things – the way the wave is breaking, timing, putting yourself in the right part of the barrel. It takes all of your mental capacity to do it just right.
- Friends that were on tour with me 20 years ago, ten years ago, are now family guys married with kids. They say, “I can’t believe you’re still doing it, that you’re looking for waves every day.”
Kelly Slater | FAQs
Which is Kelly Slater’s biggest wave?
Kelly Slater had his biggest wave recently in May 2021 in Nazare, Portugal. Well, this wave measured about 22.4 meters.
Does Kelly Slater own Surf Ranch?
Yes, Kelly Slater is the developer and owner of the $30 million Surf Ranch complex in Lemoore. This particular theme features 7-foot waves in a 2,000-foot long pool.