Anyone who religiously follows baseball or loves baseball would definitely know who Nomar Garciaparra is. Indeed, Nomar Garciaparra is considered one of the best baseball players.
No doubt, joining MLB is every baseball player’s dream, and Garciaparra is a retired MLB player.
Garciaparra is currently associated with SportsNet LA as an analyst. However, he has also been associated with Chicago Cubs, Los Angeles Dodgers, Oakland Athletics, and Boston Red Sox.
In his career, Garciaparra has won many games and achieved a lot of fame and love. He has worked really hard in his entire career, and he deserves to be in the place where he is today.
Today, we dive into the life of Nomar Garciaparra. Here we will discuss his childhood, age, net worth, career, and personal life. Before that, let us have a glance at the quick facts.
|Full Name||Anthony Nomar Garciaparra|
|Birth Place||Whittier, California, U.S.|
|Birth Date||July 23, 1973|
|Education||St. John Bosco (Bellflower, CA)|
|MLB Debut||August 31, 1996|
|Age||26 years old|
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Annual Salary||$1 Million|
|Net Worth||$45 Million|
|Merch||Jersey, Autographed Items|
|Last Update||November, 2022|
Nomar Garciaparra Early life and Education
Anthony Nomar Garciaparra, popularly known as Anthony Garciaparra, was born on July 23, 1973, in Whittier, California. He was born to Roman Garciaparra (father) and Sylvia Garciaparra (mother).
Anthony is the eldest, and after him, his mother gave birth to the other 3 children. From his early childhood, Nomar was very interested in sports. He loved playing baseball, soccer, and football.
Garciaparra’s love for sports was inherited from his parents. His mother was a great fan of USC’s Anthony Davis. Therefore, she named her son Anthony.
Similarly, his father was also an admirer of sports and always encouraged Garciaparra to play baseball or any other game.
Anthony’s middle name (Nomar) is the reverse of his father’s name Ramon. Everyone called him Anthony until he went to school. After he joined the school, Anthony was a common name there. Hence, he decided to use Nomar as his name.
At the age of 6, Garciaparra was fond of playing T-ball. He was so serious about the game that his friend’s parents actually started calling him “No-nonsense Nomar.”
During his school days, Nomar excelled as a Soccer and Baseball player. However, baseball was always his favorite, even though he loves every sport.
Nomar was a keen learner. Even at the age of 5 or 6, he always asked his father to teach him more about sports.
Not surprisingly, both the father-son duo used to discuss sports, game strategies even at the dinner table. Every afternoon Nomar practiced baseball to sharpen his skills.
And Nomar’s father paid him 25 cents for every hit at the same time, penalize him double for each couldn’t hit.
Undoubtedly, Ramon Garciaparra is the reason behind Nomar Garciaparra’s success. His dedication to making his son a great player has actually paid off.
Nomar Garciaparra graduated from Saint John Bosco High School in Bellflower in 1991. The Milwaukee Brewers even drafted him in the fifth round, but he never signed the contract.
Nomar was offered scholarships from various colleges for baseball and football. Among all the colleges, he chose the Georgia Institute of Technology and played baseball from there. However, he didn’t continue his education and dropped out of college.
Nomar Garciaparra Career
When Garciaparra was in Georgia Institue, he was drafted in fifth place by the Milwaukee Brewers. He gave his first professional home run (.295) while playing for Sarasota Red Sox during the NCCA season. But he only played in 28 games since he joined in a midseason.
Nomar performed really well, and in 1995, he joined the Double-A Trenton Thunder. He gave 8 home runs in 125 games.
In 1996 he became the highest level of minors playing in the Triple-A. There he gave 16 home runs and scored a belated season proposal for Major League.
Nomar Garciaparra made his MLB debut on August 31, 1996. He debuted against Oakland as a defensive replacement. Amazingly, a turning point came in his career as he gave 3 hits on September 1 while playing against Oakland.
- During his rookie season, Nomar set a record with 30 home runs along with 209 base hits.
- Garciaparra becomes the Rookie of the year in 1997 with combined votes.
- Amazingly, he won the Silver Slugger award in 1997 for AL Shortstop. Undoubtedly, he gained a lot of fame and support from fans after that.
- However, he was called NO-Mah by his fans from Boston in a Boston accent.
- Garciaparra signed a contract worth $23.25 million with Red Sox for 5 years in 1998.
- During the 1998 American League Championship Series, Garciaparra showed an amazing performance. He gave 3 home runs, 11 RBI with .333 batting in just the 4 game loss.
- Besides, Nomar won the batting title in 1999, where he reached the century mark for the second time.
- Similarly, Nomar was declared as MLB All-Star while playing at his home town in front of all his fans in 1999. Indeed, it was one of the happiest moments for him.
- Besides, Garsiparra also performed really well in the match against the New York Yankees. He gave 2 home runs hitting .400. Fortunately, Garciaparra finished 7th in MVP voting after that.
- The year 2000 can be considered as Nomar’s career-changing year. Finally, he reached the .403 mark at the end of the season. Eventually, he uplifted his game, and with a .372 batting average, he finished the season. However, in the post-war era, this was the highest batting average by the right-hand batter.
- In 2001, Garciaparra had a wrist injury and started the season on the disabled list. During this time, he could not perform well, which affected his matches and almost destroyed his career.
- However, in 2002 Nomar recovered from the injury and started to perform really well. During his first match with Tampa Bay Devil Rays, on his 29th birthday, he drove in 8 runs with 3 home runs in the doubleheader’s first game.
- Not surprisingly, Nomar became the first Red Sox player to give his 1000th hit in 745th games. He created this history during a match against the New York Yankees.
- In 2003 Red Sox won the match against New York Yankees, but Nomar did not expect the win. Due to Garciaparra’s low performances, he was losing faith in himself and his game at that time.
- At the beginning of 2004, Nomar was unsure about his future in Red Sox. Due to his injury, his game was affected severely. Later, at the end of 2004, Nomar was finished in Red Sox career with 178 home runs, 690 RBI, and a .323 average after 9 seasons.
- In 2005, after being sent to Chicago Cubs in 2004, he suffered from an injury due to which he couldn’t perform well. Sadly, he couldn’t get the contract for the long term. Garciaparra signed a year contract for $8 million even though he couldn’t play for 3 months.
- Nomar again became a free agent after finishing the year 2005 with 9 home runs, 30 RBI, and a .283 average.
- In 2006, Nomar returned to his hometown and signed a contract with Los Angeles Dodgers worth $6 million, including a $2.5 million performance bonus.
- Garciaparra was rewarded with his sixth All-Star selection. Besides, to receive the honor, he got 6 million fan votes.
- The Dodgers again signed Nomar with a contract worth $18.5 million for 2 years. He was resigned in 2006.
- In 2007, Nomar couldn’t perform as expected due to injury, even though he appeared in 121 games.
- However, in the 2008 NLCS, Nomar could not play in game 1 and eventually didn’t play much in the series as he was used as a substitute sometimes or was replaced.
- Then, Garciaparra signed a contract with Oakland Athletics in 2009 for a year. He played 65 games with a .281 average, 3 home runs, and 16 RBI in 65 games.
- Finally, on March 10, 2010, Nomar Garciaparra signed a one-day contract with the Red Sox to retire from MLB as a member of the Red Sox.
|Runs batted in||936|
Nomar Garciaparra Body Measurement
At the time of writing, Anthony Nomar Garciaparra is 47 years old. He has a well-groomed and healthy body. Nomar has black hair and dark brown eyes.
Garciaparra is 6 ft. tall, and he weighs around 75 kg. This is a perfect body type for a player. A player should always have a good physique to play well. Hence, Nomar has done a great job of maintaining himself.
Besides, Nomar was born in July, making him a Leo according to the birth chart horoscope. People born as Leo are determined, goal-oriented, and passionate.
Likewise, Nomar is one passionate, goal-oriented person. He knows what he wants from life and has successfully achieved it.
Who is Nomar Garciaparra married to?
Garciaparra is married to Mia Hamm (World Cup Champion soccer star and olympian). Nomar and Mia met each other in 1998 at a promotional event. But they didn’t have any feelings for each other as Mia was already married at that time.
They got married in 2003. However, Hamm was impressed by Nomar’s passion and dedication toward his game.
After that, they became friends and were in touch with each other. Eventually, after Hamm’s divorce in 2001, they started dating.
This beautiful couple has three kids. First, they were blessed with twin daughters (Grace Isabella and Ava Caroline). After that, they were blessed with a baby boy Garret Anthony.
Nomar and Hamm are both happy together. They are living the life of their dreams and enjoying every bit of their life together.
Nomar Garciaparra Net Worth
It is estimated that Garciaparra has a net worth of $45 million. Obviously, he has earned quite a good amount of money as he has been working for a long time. He definitely, lives a luxurious and lavish life.
As per sources, their Manhatten Beach house was bought for $2.2 million in 2016. It is a two-story home that is estimated to be 4,450 square ft. This house has 5 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms, a two-car garage, a family room, and a kitchen.
— Nomar Garciaparra (@Nomar5) February 4, 2018
Besides, they own a home in LA Habra Heights as well. Indeed, he lives a lavish life. The annual income of Nomar is expected to be $1 million.
Though it has not been mentioned how he spends his money, definitely, he owns a lot of property and has a great collection of cars.
Social Media Presence
Twitter (@Nomar5) : 112k followers